Announcements and upcoming events from the Office of the IACUC are found on this page.
HCCM has recently updated the analgesia formulary for mice. Changes include:
- Buprenoprhine HCl: frequency of administration INCREASED from q-8-12 to q4-6
- BupSR: added to the table, everyone is encouraged to use this over the non-SR formulation
- Meloxicam: increased dose and frequency recommended – previously 5mg/kg q24, now 5-10 mg/kg q12-24
- Ketoprofen: increased dose range and now have 24h dose option– previously 5mg/kg q12, now recommended as either 5-10mg/q12 or 20mg/kg q24
- Removed ibuprofen, acetaminophen as recommended analgesic options
Please see the HCCM website for all recommended analgesia and anesthesia regimens. If you have any questions or concerns about the new regimens, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your animal protocol is affected by these updates, your Protocol Liaison will help you update your protocol upon your next amendment or three-year renewal submission.
The Science article discusses how nutrition scientists agree that reformulating rodent feed, such as AIN-93, to be more nutritious and consistent would improve an animal’s health and limit possible confound variable in experiments.
Michael A Pellizzon and Matthew R Ricci. Choice of Laboratory Rodent Diet May Confound Data Interpretation and Reproducibility. Curr Dev Nutr. 2020; 4(4).