The Office of the IACUC serves the research community as a means to achieve quality animal research in support of the Institution’s commitment to improved human health, and provides support to the Harvard Medical Area Standing Committee on Animals, which works to ensure that animal research is held to the highest ethical standards and carried out in accordance with regulatory requirements.
The HMA Animal Welfare Program maintains accreditation and licensing with the following agencies:
- Public Health Service - National Institutes of Health (PHS-NIH)
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC - International)
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH)
- Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife